Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Begining



     I want to say that I was 6 years old when my story began.  The year was 1980. This happened to be a big year not only for myself but for Rock n Roll in general.  In February Bon Scott, the lead singer of ACDC, died of alcohol poisoning.  Bob Marley played his show in Pittsburgh in April.  August 16th was the date of the 1st Monsters of Rock show with Judas Priest and the Scorpions headlining.  On September 24, John Bonham, drummer for Led Zeppelin, passed out and choked to death on his own vomit following an all-day vodka drinking binge at Jimmy Page's home in Windsor.  December 8, John Lennon, was murdered at 10:50PM in front of his New York apartment building by Mark David Chapman.  The year ended with Led Zeppelin disbanding.  Of course I was oblivious to all this as a six year old.
     Back in those days my best friend in Smyrna, Georgia and I were busy listening to his older brothers albums and arguing over which Van Halen brother we wanted to be when we were pretending to be Van Halen on stage.  The airwaves were swamped with ACDC, Billy Squire, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Journey, Ozzy Osbourne, and Van Halen.  All of which had fascinating album covers that littered the floor of my friends bed room that he shared with his 18 year old brother.  I can remember singing along to  songs like Whip It, All Out of Love, On the Road Again, Celebration, and Dancing With Myself while in the back seat of my parents brown Oldsmobile.  Of course I did not have a clue to some of the subject matter but I knew every word and would sing as loud as I could.  Looking back on those days, I realize now that I had no idea what was happening.  I was starting a lifelong love affair with rock n roll.
     Now, 32 years later, I am maybe what some might consider a bit of a music junkie.  I own more music than I could ever listen to in a life time.  I have seen more concerts than I can count.  Over 100 of them have been the same band.  I listen to everything from Metal to classic R&B.  I cannot get enough old school hip hop, I love reading about Haight Ashbury in the late 60’s and have tattoo of a Grateful Dead skeleton holding a Flying V guitar.  As I sit hear streaming the top hit from the 80’s, listening to one of Cher’s songs I realize that music is a gift that has accompanied me through every stage of my life.  It has been my lover, my best friend, my confidant, and even part of my demise.  Most of all it is the soundtrack to my life!  So tonight, I will begin a new album and start writing about the music that I hold so close, where it has taken me and where it is going.  Hold on tight, it is going to be a wild ride!

GO SEE LIVE MUSIC

2 comments:

  1. Click on the join this site button under followers on the right hand side.

    ReplyDelete