Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Shooting Stars



      Something I have been thinking about lately is how bad the radio has become today along with the music that is played on it.  Tonight, however, the songs I heard, reminded me of how radio use to be.  I thought about how I use to record songs off the radio on blank tapes, hang on every word the dj said, and hope for a Led Zeppelin rock block...  It is amazing how certain songs can take me back to my youth.  Those rock anthems that you sang along to in the mirror or called in and requested for your girlfriend in the eighth grade. Yes I actually did this.  As an adult, I try to keep up with mainstream music, only because I like to be in the know, not because it is any good. For the most part of my adult life my musical interests are off the radar from popular radio.
     In the car tonight I chose to listen to the one and only true rock station where I live, and I was lucky enough to hear four huge anthems back to back.  You know the ones you sing to as loud as you can in your car without any shame.  The first one was Another One Bites the Dust by Queen, second was Shooting Star by Bad Company, next up was Pink Houses by John Mellencamp, and to round it out was AC/DC's Back in Black.  I sang along to these songs loud, proud, and joyfully as I drifted into my subconscious, wondering where the beautiful rock anthem has disappeared to.  Heck, let’s face it, after lap tops and pro tools, there really is not much real music being produced today.  Not like it was in the 70's and 80's.  Bands like REO Speed Wagon, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Motly Crue, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Aerosmith, Bob Segar, and the Cars, to name a few all put out true arena rock songs that have gone down in the history books.  As a believer and lover of rock n roll, I do question its longevity today.  Where are the Joan Jetts, Huey Lewis's and Kenny Loggins of today?  As far as I can tell we have several Madonna wanna bes.  Now, I am not saying there is not a ton of great new music out there.  Bands like Widespread Panic, Black Crowes, Black Keys, and My Morning Jacket are power houses on the touring scene but for the most part are falling short of mainstream music.
     As I started to write this tonight, I started an internet radio station based on Queen.  Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive came on.  The line "Ive seen a million faces and Ive rocked em all," always resonates deep and loud with me.  I just dont hear lyrics like that any more.  Why?  What has changed in music today.  Has American Idol completely corrupted rock n roll as we know it?  Has over produced hip hop killed the rock star?  Where are Billy Idol, David Lee Roth and Alice Cooper when we need them the most?  Will there ever be others like the Rolling Stones, The Clash, or KISS?  Or are those days gone for good?  I hope not.  So please remember this and support local music.  What the world needs more than anything is another Freddie Mercury to set us all free!

GO SEE LIVE MUSIC

No comments:

Post a Comment